Monday, May 7, 2012

A Few Random Tastings - France

White Bordeaux - Ch Haut Selve 2010

The 2010 Ch Haut Selve Graves is the first wine I've tasted using the "newcomer" to Bordeaux, Sauvignon Gris, a grape nearly wiped out from phyloxria, but one that several winemakers are now starting to grow and embrace.
In this case, the blend is 50% Sauvignon (blanc), 40% Semillon, and 10% Sauvignon Gris. There is a faint hint of grapefruit, but far less than what has become all too common in Sauvignon based wines. There is also a nice bit of floral character to the nose, which I believe can be attributed to the SG. On the palate, nicely crisp and refreshing. One of the most enjoyable White Bordeaux that I have had in quite some time. And at under $16, this is a steal. Recommended.

Chateau Coulon Corbieres 2010

This is a very interesting wine. Nice black cherry/raspberry fruit, with a nice bit of spice (the write-up on the label mentions black olives; I don't get them). Moderate acidity makes this not only mouthwatering, but also a wine that begs for food. Typically, when I taste a wine, I start thinking about what foods it would pair with. In this case, before the first sip was swallowed, I was already craving a pork roast. I think that it could also work with roasted fowl, such as turkey or chicken; it might be even better with duck.
Not a wine to drink alone; but with a nice meal, recommended.

Domaine La Borie Blanche Minervois 2010

Raspberry and spice! And a little bit of earthiness. This blend of syrah and grenache is quite bold, with a refreshing tartness that reminds me fondly of the candies I loved as a child. And like those candies, a little addictive.
You can think of this basically as a Rhone style red, just a little lighter (but there is more spice and structure than you typically get from Ventoux or other lighter areas of the Rhone). This is a wine I can enjoy on its own, but it would probably be more appropriate with a meal. Pair with a nice Filet Mignon. Recommended.

Domaine Des Chenes Cotes du Roussillon Villages 2009

An odd one. Lots of garrigue on the nose (especially lavender), and a little something else I can't identify. Rather thin and tart, without much fruit. This may appeal to some palate, but not mine. Not recommended.

Cheateau Moncontour sparkling Vouvray Brut

 I've had very few sparkling Vouvray, so I'm not the best judge, but this is by far the best I have had. Good fruit, and a nice bit of toasty yeastiness. You probably won't mistake this for a Champagne, but you might mistake it for a very nice Cava. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment