Sunday, May 15, 2011

Anakena Ona Malbec (Chile)

I've been a fan of malbec since long before it became trendy, so when I saw one from Chile instead of the usual Argentina, I was intrigued.

Unlike a typical Mendoza malbec, the Anakena Ona is quite dry, with moderately high acidity. Hints of leather even come through on the nose; on the palate, there are nice flavors of red fruits and a little bit of spice.

This is more of an old-world style wine, in that the balance is really leaning toward accompaining food, rather than drinking on its own. A little acidic by itself, I think that it would work fairly well with a nicely marbled steak; although I can't say that I would prefer it over an Argentine malbec for the same meal.

I gave it a score of 83. Recommended for those looking for a drier, less fruity version of malbec than is generally obtained from Argentina (even the Patagonia region). Not recommended for someone who is looking for a fruity wine to drink on its own or with a light snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment