Sunday, May 22, 2011

Glen Turner 12 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky

A few days ago, I was thrilled when a customer brought me a present. Then I was shocked to see that it was a bottle of Glen Turner Scotch, which I had never heard of. He explained that it was brand new, and not even sold in the US yet. Thank you very much!


The nose is fairly fruity, but also shows a good deal of peat. On the palate, quite smooth, just a little hint of spice (nutmeg?), a little less peat that might be expected from the nose, and a very pleasant amount of warmth on the finish. It's enough on the drier side to make a good apertif, but full enough in body to be equally good after a meal, with just the faintest bit of oiliness.

It doesn't have the complexity of some of my favorites, like Springbank or Old Pulteney, or even Highland Park, but I think that it's one that holds up well, and I think that it's nicer than many of the most common standbys.

Recommended, depending on the price. With current pricing trends, I'd have no problem spending $40 or even a little more on this one, but until it makes it into the US, figure that it's worth it to pay a little more than for something like The Maccallan or Glen Livet.

No comments:

Post a Comment