Tuesday, June 7, 2011

J.L. Wolf Riesling 2009 - great German white

I love a good German Riesling, and especially those from the Mosel river valley. But the J.L. Wolf, from the  Wachenheimer area of Pfalz, is enough to make me reconsider my favorite source.
This wine is made by the famous Dr. Loosen; the same Dr. Loosen who has teamed up with American producer Ch. Ste. Michelle to produce "Eroica". I don't know if more credit goes to the producer or the area, but the combination is outstanding.
Lots of peach and honeysuckle on the nose, along with what I think is best described as lychee; the overall effect rather intense. Full flavored, with typical riesling flavors of apricot and honey, but also with a hint of orangy citrus. The finish has a bit of minerality, but not as pronounced as I would expect from a riesling from the central Mosel (say around Graach or Bernkastel); and no petrol. But the floralness and complexity far exceed what I would expect from a QbA level riesling; in fact, there is more complexity in this wine than most Kabinetts that I have tasted.
Being only a little sweet, this wine is quite versatile. It was excellent with a cheese platter of Brie and Manchego, but I think that it would also be a great wine with typical picnic foods, spicy Thai food, or for Thanksgiving or similar feast. At $17, a little more expensive than most QbA level wines, but with good reason; it's worth it.

Highly recommended.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads-up on a good Reisling, David. I like them but don't know them as well as most other wines. So while I drink them often, especially in the summer, I usually stick with a few that I know. Didn't realize Loosen was involved in this one.

    Dean Gemmell

    ReplyDelete