Monday, April 16, 2012

Brigaldara Valpolicella 2010

My colleague just opened a bottle of Brigaldara Valpolicella and asked me to taste it to tell him my thoughts. (it's a tough job, but someone has to do it!)

Short story, I love it.

Longer story, this is light bodied, and only medium red in color. The type of wine that you can look at and think "Yeah, this will probably work, even though it's 90° outside". The nose is almost explosive, with bright red fruit complemented by a bit of spice (cinnamon? cloves?) On the palate, it is very nice, with a bracing acidity that makes it very refreshing, and calls out for food, although it still drinks well enough on its own to just enjoy a glass. In fact, my comment was that it might be hard coming up with a food pairing, because it's so delicious by itself. But I think something along the lines of a nicely marinated flank steak, or perhaps a skirt steak off the grill would be a wonderful match. But if you want to pair it with a pizza, I think it would be a great fit there as well.

Highly recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment