Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A few Barberas

My new job has had the consequence of getting to taste many wines, but lack of time to write about them. So I'll post just a few of the recent highlights among some Barberas, from both Italy and California.

Seghesio Alexander Vally Barbera 2009 - Very big and bold; I could quickly pinpoint this as being a California wine, but the flavor is not what I expect from a Barbera. Good, but not great.

Ruvei Barbera d'Alba 2008 - Very different from the Seghesio. Medium full body, but intense flavor. Very clean fruit. Pretty much what I expect from a good Barbera, and my overall favorite of the lot.

Gaitu Barbera Colli Tortonesi 2006 - Another very different expression of what can be done with the Barbera grape. Body wis similar to the Ruvei, and while it was identifiable as a Barbera, it is less fruity, and has a very nice earthy quality to it. Very good, and only slightly behind the Ruvei in my ranking, although with the right food (think anything with mushrooms or similar flavor) this one would be the better choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment