Thursday, February 17, 2011

Diamond Knot Brown Ale

Diamond Knot is a Washington state brewery that's been around since 1994, but I only recently heard of them. While they have several beers, I decided that I was in the mood for something a little lighter than the stouts I've been drinking recently, so for $5 for a bomber, I decided to try the Brown Ale.

This is a pretty typical west-coast style brown ale. Deep amber in color, with a slight haze to it, but only a very light trace of a head. There's a slight hint of cocoa on the nose, but it doesn't show up on the palate, which has a slight maltiness but a strong dose of citrus (probably Cascade hops) and a bit of pine-resin (Centenial?). The finish lingers with a mild bitterness that would probably be very good with a juicy burger or other food, but is less than ideal for drinking by itself.

I'm not a huge fan of many west-coast beers, having gotten burned out on over-hopped creations while I lived out west. I probably won't buy this again, but I won't turn one down if offered, either. I prefer it over many of the other west coast beers I've had, as it's less hoppy than similar beers from breweries like Rogue or Pike. But I still wish it had a little more maltiness to it.

If you like west coast style beers but are looking for something a little less intense, then this beer is worth trying. Otherwise, it's not special enough to seek out.

No comments:

Post a Comment