Friday, February 18, 2011

Sobon Estates Old Vine Zinfandel 2009

I have long been a fan of good Zinfandel wines (that's red zins; not the sickly sweet pink "white" zinfandel), and since discovering the wines of Paul Sobon, the Sobon Estates wines have been among my favorite ones.

The 2009 Old Vines from Amador County is no exception. Very rich fruit flavors of raspberry and blackberry, with ample vanilla and just a hint of spice. Fairly full bodied, enough that it easily handles the 14.9% alcohol level, but a little lighter than some of the biggest zins, and not at all over-whelming.

Great wine by itself; it was a little much with the chicken I had tonight (which was not a surprise; I just didn't have anything better to choose from). It would be great with burgers off the grill, or for a cocktail party, as it will go with, or at least not clash with, just about anything.

I gave it 87 points.

At $12, Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment