Monday, February 21, 2011

Torrontes!

After a rough start to the night (not one, but two broken wine glasses, in separate incidents), I finally got to taste my bottle of La Vuelta Torrontes 2010, from Mendoza Argentina.

Torrontes is a grape that grows only in Argentina and Uraquay. There is some belief that it is related to Gewurztraminer, and based on the taste, I think that is possible. But it's definitely got its own taste.

The nose is strong, with notes of peach, lime, and orange blossom (and maybe a hint of honeysuckle, but I didn't pick that up on the second glass). Nice and crisp, it has a citrus lemon/lime quality, mixed with a little melon flavor. The finish is very clean and refreshing. Overall, very well balanced, with great fruit, but not overpowering the way some Torrontes can get. I think this is my favorite Torrontes, although there are a couple of 2010 bottles that I haven't yet tried.

This is a great warm weather quaffing wine, and also makes a great cocktail wine with cheese or other light foods. Would probably work very well on a picnic or with other light meals.

At only $8-9, highly recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment