Friday, March 25, 2011

Mt. Monster Shiraz from Australia 2009

Being a Shiraz fan, I was excited to try the Mt Monster Shiraz from the Limestone Coast area of Australia. I tend to like many of the Shirazes from the Limestone Coast area, and one of my favorites, Jip Jip Rocks, is actually shown on the map on the label for where this winery is located. I don't know if there is a relationship or not; perhaps they just want to create a connection in the mind of the buyer (if that's the plan, it worked on me!)

Sadly, this wine did not quite live up to my expectations. It is good, with a powerful nose, full of raspberry, currant, vanilla, and a touch of spice (all typical of Limestone Coast Shiraz), and quite smooth on the palate, with just a hint of blueberry. The balance is fine, and the medium-full body and long finish are about what you would expect at the $13 price. But it lacks complexity; after the first glass, it becomes somewhat dull and boring. Nothing bad about it, but nothing to get excited about either.

I'm hoping that this is a factor of the vintage. 2009 was a very difficult vintage, with extreme heat across much of southern Australia, and a few wineries destroyed by wildfires (and very sadly, at least four winemakers died in the flames). The lack of depth could easily be a result of grapes that ripened too quickly due to the high heat. I'll certainly try this wine again with the 2010 vintage, but for now, if I want a Shiraz from the Limestone Coast area, I'll spend the extra couple of bucks and get the Jip Jip Rocks, at least as long as I can get the 2008 vintage.

Given the fruit, this would be a decent wine to have for a party, where there are other wines to drink as well. But if you are planning on drinking more than a glass or so, I really can't recommend it. A shame, because it's close to being a really good wine, just lacking the complexity to keep it interesting.

Not recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment