Monday, March 28, 2011

Petite Sirah - 2009 Cloudbreak

Cloudbreak is one of those new budget labels that has appeared lately, selling in the $7-8 range. I had tried the Chardonnay, and found it enjoyable, if nothing special, so I decided that the Petite Sirah would be worth a try, especially since the wife likes full bodied reds, and Petite Sirah should be right up that alley.

My first surprise was seeing the alcohol percentage. At only 12.5%, it's at least a point and a half lower than any Petite Sirah that I've had in the past. The next surprise was the nose; lots of red fruits, mainly raspberry, with a hint of raisin. Nice aroma, but not what I expect out of a Petite Sirah.
On the palate, it's quite nice, if simple; and at this point, I'm no longer surprised that it's not like most Petite Sirahs that I've had. Body wise, it's fairly light, on par with many of the Pinot Noirs that I've had. In fact, if it were not for the raisiny notes, this could pass as a slightly odd Pinot.
As can be expected for a wine of this price, it's rather simple, and has a finish that lasts only a few seconds. Unlike many wines of this price, it's not very sweet, but only slightly off-dry.

Cloudbreak Petite Sirah drinks pretty well on it's on as a light quaffer, but I think that it would shine with burgers and dogs off the grill, or other similar flavorful but unimposing foods. However, I don't think it would stand up to Turkish or Indian meals; foods that I often turn to a Petite Sirah to accompany.

I gave this a low score of 81, but mainly because of the light body and short finish. The actual taste is quite good, and if you're looking for a light fruity but not sweet wine for a great price, this is a good go-to wine. But if you're looking for a rich full-bodied Petite Sirah, you're better off with something like the Martin Family or Foppiano.

Recommended with the above conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment