Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sauternes

Carmes de Rieussec is the second label of Ch. Rieussec, one of the top dessert wines out of Bordeaux (and currently owned by Ch Lafite). Since the top label is fairly expensive, I decided to see how the second label tastes, as at $20, it's one of the more affordable Sauternes. I tasted the 2007 vintage, which was a pretty good year for the area.

This is a beauty in the glass, with a rich golden color. On the nose, it exhibits the honeysuckle that you expect with a botrytis affected wine, but also a bit of petrol that I would expect more from a Mosel Valley Reisling. There is also a hint of spices like cinnamon and nutmeg along with a bit of something somewhere between vanilla and caramel.

On the palate, the flavors match the nose, with some nice apple/pear fruit flavors. In short, it's like a liquid apple pie. A fair amount of complexity; not as much as some other Sauternes that I've had, but then again, it's much more affordable. And in fact, I think it's better than some Sauternes I've tasted that cost twice as much!

A note on food pairings; the temptation with a "dessert wine" is to combine it with a traditional dessert. But this often clashes, as whichever one is sweeter will cause the other to taste flat. I've had good luck with dishes like Creme Brulee (where it is more of the fattiness that the sweetness that makes it so yummy), but with sweeter dishes like apple pie, it just doesn't work.
The classic pairing is foie gras, but I can't say how that works, as I've never even tasted foie gras. In my opinion, with a good dessert wine, it's often best to drink it AS dessert, rather than WITH dessert.

Overall, a decent if not exceptional Sauternes, but excellent for the value.

Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment