Saturday, April 2, 2011

Abracadabra red wine from Washington

Abracadabra is a new (at least to me) red blend from Brian Carter Cellars. Since I was familiar with Brian Carter from his days at Apex, I was quite excited when I saw this new wine from his current venture.I'm not even sure what's in this wine, as it doesn't say on the label, and the flavors are well enough balanced that there are no predominant flavors that indicate a particular grape (and IMO, this is the way a good blend should be).

As you might expect from a wine from the Columbia Valley, this wine is more about elegance than about power. At first, I wasn't sure too about this one, as it is a little reserved for even a Washington wine; I thought there might be a little more intensity, along the lines of the Apex wines. But as I drank it, it started to grow on me. Then once I had some cheese and salami to go with it, it really showed it's strengths. Nice raspberry and other red fruit flavors, with just a hint of oaky vanilla. It's definitely about the elegance and style; if you are looking for a fruit bomb, this is not the wine for you (in fact the wife had only a partial glass). And while I probably wouldn't have this as a wine to drink on its own, I think it would work very well as part of an elegant meal, like a nice filet mignon or similar delicate meat.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Brian's wines, but since I tend to drink more wine sitting on the sofa watching TV than with elegant meals, I probably won't get this one again. However, if you are planning a nice dinner, or if you want a wine that makes a nice transition between New World and Old World styles, this is a good wine for you.

Overall, a very well made wine; the question is more about the style than the quality. Recommended for those drinkers looking for elegance.

No comments:

Post a Comment