Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Calcareous Twisted Sisters Zinfandel from Paso Robles

In the past, I've been known to say "I've never found a Zin from Paso Robles that was any good; it's Cab territory". Well, never again. Not only is the Calcareous Twisted Sisters better than any other Zin I've had from Paso Robles, it's one of the best Zins I've ever tasted.
Rich fruit, very full bodied, but velvety smooth. Blackberries and vanilla, with just a bit of spice and pepper. The incredibly long finish (nearly 2 minutes!) has notes of chocolate that evolve into a hint of dried tobacco. It's a magical wine, one that is almost difficult to comprehend.

Although I typically drink wine by itself rather than with a meal, I try to think of what foods would match well with the wine I'm drinking. In this case, that's quite hard, because I think even a filet mignon would tend to detract from the beauty of this wine (although the filet would be greatly enhanced!) This is a wine that, even though it could add to just about any meal, may be best enjoyed on its own.

If this was a $35 bottle, I would recommend it. At around $20, it's a steal.

Very highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment