Thursday, January 12, 2012

Finca Flichman Barrancas Syrah blend 2007

I've long been a fan of Finca Flichman, but this is the first time I've tried their flagship Syrah based blend. I was not disappointed.
Like their other flagship wines (Tupengato and Dedicato), this is a very full bodied intense wine. Blackberry and blueberry are the dominate fruit flavors, but the fruit is secondary to the vanilla and chocolate, which is unusual in being evident in the mid palate, not just the finish.
Oddly, I enjoyed the wine greatly, finding it rich, smooth, and full of fruit and other great flavors, but my wife, who normally likes big full wines, did not care for it, saying it tasted like "tart cherries". Perhaps this is just a little too "old world" style for her tastes, although I find it very unlike a Rhone style wine (but equally unlike an Aussie Shiraz).
I've long joked that Argentina is good at growing two things, grapes and cows; and their wines work great with beef. But the extra bit of earthiness in the Barrancas may make it also work very well with a hearty pork dish.

Whether you want an earthier more complex alternative to an Aussie Shiraz, or just like rich full bodied wines in general, this is one that I can recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment