Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dessert wine

I'll admit it. I like sweet wines.

There, I've said it.

But I'm picky. They have to be good ones. So tonight, on my never-ending quest for an inexpensive desert wine, I tried the Anakena Late Harvest 2008. It's a blend of mostly viognier (which I love, but have never seen in a dessert wine), and Muscat of Alexandria. At only about $12 for a 500ml bottle, definitely qualifies as inexpensive.

Nice nose, with strong aromas of honeysuckle, a little peach, and a slight hint of other floralness. On the palate, moderately sweet, with a light to medium body, with the same peach and honeysuckle flavors as on the nose. Not as rich as I'd prefer, but considering the price, not bad.

Sadly, the finish was disappointing, lasting only a few seconds. I've had dessert and other sweet wines give finishes that lasted over a minute, and while I didn't expect that from a $12 bottle, I did expect a little more than I got.
Bottom line, good, but not great. This would be a good bottle for a family gathering where you want something sweet for dessert, don't want to spend a lot, and most people wouldn't appreciate a more expensive bottle. But for the most part, I'd recommend spending a little more and getting something richer (such as the Apex II Late Harvest 2007, which is about the same price for a smaller bottle).

No comments:

Post a Comment