Monday, January 3, 2011

Edgewood Merlot

I have to admit up front, I'm not a big fan of most California merlots. Other than Duckhorn or Matanza's Creek, I'd rather have my merlot from Washington or Bordeaux.
That said, the 2007 Napa Valley Merlot from Edgewood (part of the Underdog Wine Merchants, a name I'm seeing cropping up a lot lately)* is pretty good. Lots of dark fruit, but more of a "finesse" wine than a "fruit bomb". And a nice little peppery spice on the finish that I seldom see. Unlike most merlots, I think this is more of a food wine than a "fits everything" party/cocktail wine, although it could work there too.
For $15, this is a pretty decent wine. Surprisingly, it's not that full bodied, even though it is 14.5% abv. With rather soft tannins, this is a good wine for someone who doesn't want to be over-powered, but wants a good match for a steak or beef-roast.

Recommended.


*So far, I've noticed that Underdog Wine Merchants are behind the production and/or import of Cupcake wines, the Ports from Osborne, Monticillo Rioja, and Kimblefield Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment