Saturday, January 29, 2011

New Holland "The Poet" Oatmeal Stout

The recent snow storms and a heavy work schedule have been rough, and have seriously cut into my drinking time. Thankfully, I finally got a day off with no snow, so I'm getting back on schedule.

Tonight I'm trying The Poet, an oatmeal stout made by New Holland brewery in Michigan. It's very dark; pretty much black. Nice creamy head. The nose has enough coffee and chocolate that I had to check the label to see if either of these are added. If they are, it's not listed, so I think it's just the malt.
This is a big beer. A little coffee and slight sweetness up front, with plenty of intense dark malt,  but a slight bitterness gives a very dry finish, with lingering notes of chocolate and dark malt.
Overall, it's not incredibly complex.  But it more than makes up for that with intensity and richness, with a very smooth style for a beer of this flavor level. If you like a good rich stout, this is a great beer to try. If you're new to stouts, this is probably not the one to start with.

Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment