Sunday, January 2, 2011

Elderton Friends Shiraz

Tonight I opened the 2008 Elderton 'Friends' Shiraz. I've always been a fan of Elderton wines, especially their Shiraz, so I was excited about trying this vintage. Sadly, I was disappointed. Not that it wasn't good; it was. But it wasn't up to the level I expected. I guess I've just been spoiled by their other wines and vintages (the previous 'Friends' shiraz I've had was outstanding).

The '08 has a medium body, with some decent fruit and a nice hint of smoke/spice, and just a little mustiness (in a good way). Moderate finish of about 20 seconds.
Not a bad wine; it actually is nicer than most $10-12 Aussie Shirazes that I've had, but at $17, while not a terrible deal, it's not a great one either.

If you can get this on sale, grab it. But if you're paying over $15, there are other wines to go for instead. And if you get a chance to try their estate wines, go for it; their Command is still the best Shiraz that I've ever tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment