Friday, January 14, 2011

Scuttlebutt Porter

Tonight felt more like a beer night, not a wine night. So I decided to try the Scuttlebutt Porter from Everett, Washington, a brewery I've just recently heard of and never tried.

Very dark in color, with only a few hints of reddish brown around the edges keeping me from calling it black. A nice aroma of roasted malt is almost chocolate-y, and as to be expected from a beer from this part of the world, a noticable, but not over-whelming,Cascade hoppiness.
On the palate, very rich and almost creamy, with pronounced chocolate overtones. The hops are enough to offset the sweetness of the malt, but not enough to start tasting bitter. As someone who has become rather burned out on the high IBU beers loaded with Cascade and/or Centenial hops, this is a refreshing reminder of what a lighter touch can do, while still keeping a Pacific NW character.

After trying this beer, I'm looking forward to trying other Scuttlebutt beers, and at a reasonable price of $4 for a bomber, I have the feeling that I'll drink this one on a regular basis. I like this even better than the Pike's, which is IMO a little too hoppy.

Recommended if you like heavy dark beers. This could easily be called a Stout, and no one would argue.

No comments:

Post a Comment